Sunday, May 16, 2010

Catching Up

So I haven't posted in forever. I have no excuse at all. For whatever reason, I just haven't gotten around to it. Let me start off with a fabulous recipe that I got from Gina at www.skinnytaste.com This one is ingenious!

Spinach Lasagna Rolls

* 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
* 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
* 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 egg
* salt and fresh pepper
* 32 oz tomato sauce
* 9 tbsp part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.

Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.


Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese. Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 9 rolls.



Each roll is 4 Weight Watchers Points. This recipe is perfect for me because it is quick, simple and it reheats well. When I make this we have leftovers the rest of the week. Awesome! Here's how it turned out in my kitchen.



Running has been going fairly well. When I first started running after Darwin was born, I struggled with lots of random pain in the hips and pelvis. That is finally gone. Yay! Now I have lots of little aches in my ankles and feet. This is normal for me. Anytime I am getting back into running shape I have to deal with this. This too shall pass, right? I've done a couple of 5Ks since I last posted. I'm running in the low 22 minute range right now. Not too bad but still slower than my PR of 19:42. I've been training consistently for the last few weeks and I'm happy with how it has been going. I think I'll be back up 60 miles per week in about 8 months. That is a long time from now but I want to do this right and get back without any injuries. Let me take this moment to say that I could not live without my BOB Revolution jogging stroller. It has totally lived up to all the hype! I'd still rather run solo but I need to run with Darwin a couple times a week and this has really made it easy. I can't believe how smooth this thing rides. He usually sleeps the entire time I'm running but is content to ride quietly when he is awake. Amazingly, it doesn't slow me down at all! I was looking at my running log the other day and my pace is pretty much the same with or without the stroller. Because it maneuvers so well, we've been able to use it as our everyday stroller as well so it was more than worth the cost. The only complaint I can make at all is that the handle doesn't adjust so it is a little low for Brian. He's 6'4" so he's pretty use to things not being tall enough for him. I have to say, it is the perfect height for me but at 5'5", I am pretty average.

And finally, Darwin. He is 7 months old already! Where has all the time gone? He isn't crawling yet but he is giving it his very best try. He loves rolling around everywhere and puts himself on his tummy whenever possible. Our latest adventure has been solids. He is not a fan at all. So far we've done avocado, banana, sweet potato, oatmeal and squash. He won't eat any of them. If the food manages to find its way into his mouth at all, it is met with the worst look you could imagine. It is like I have really hurt his feelings by trying to make him eat these things. It would be funny if he didn't look so sad. Here is a picture before his first attempt at solids. Oh how quickly that smile would disappear.



And here I am with Darwin on my first Mother's Day as a mom.

No comments: