Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Feel Like a Runner Again

I hate speed work. There, I said it. I don't like tempo runs either. Both of these are some of the best things you can do to improve your running. I've done my share of both but I've hated every second. When I got pregnant I kept running but these intense workouts had to go. It just isn't safe to run like that when you are "with child". I have to admit that I was really glad to give them up-even if it was only temporary. Well, Darwin is 3.5 months old and I've been running well for a few weeks now. I've even done a race. I think my "no intense workouts" clause has expired.

With this in mind I set out to do my first set of post pregnancy intervals. I figured I'd start humbly. I could handle 6x400 meters right? Of course I could. So I ran an easy mile and went straight into the workout. I really wanted to get home to Darwin so instead of walking the recovery in between my quarters, I did a slow recovery run. The next thing I know, I'm on the last one. Were they hard? Yes! They sucked just like I remembered, but I did them. I even did them fairly fast-all of them were sub 7:30 pace. Slow by my old standards but smoking fast compared to any of the running I've done lately. Point is, I felt like a runner again and I liked it.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Wow you are officially super woman. I have lost all of my baby weight plus some but still have not braved the major work outs. I feel I have not motivation.